What possibilities are there today to make your dog more visible?
- Reflective collar, dog harness or coat. These have the advantage that they do not need electricity. However, they only work if there is still a light source - street lights, car traffic, or at least a flashlight to shine on the dog.
- LED tags. These have the advantage that they also light up on their own and can be easily attached to the regular collar. There are battery operated and rechargeable models. With this, however, the dog is usually only visible from the front - from behind the light is hidden
- dog collar LED. There are two different types: those that only light up and are worn in addition to the usual collar or harness, and those to which a leash can be attached. Such a luminous collar dog
Light collar dog: What should you look for when buying?How do you find a suitable light collar dog among the many products? The following conditions should be met:
- protected from splashing and rain water, so that it also works in bad weather
- wide enough, so that it does not simply disappear in the fur
- sufficient luminosity and duration
- sufficient size and wearing comfort
The dog collar LED is available in different colors. If you have more than one dog, you can choose a different colour for each one and then know exactly who is where! Most models have both flashing and steady lights. Many dog owners - and dogs - prefer steady lights. By the way, a personalized light-up dog collar also makes a good gift for other dog owners.
Safe through the winter
Dogs' eyes can make better use of residual light than humans. Dogs also orient themselves more by their sense of hearing and smell. Darkness is therefore usually less of a problem for a dog than it is for many people. However, if you are walking your dog through an unlit park or country lane, it is a good idea to have a torch or headlamp with you so that you can illuminate the area in an emergency - for example, if your dog gets caught in a bush and you have to walk cross-country.
Many people have their dog on a leash more often in the dark because it's harder to control what he's doing and who he encounters. However, a five-metre flexi leash is not visible to other passers-by in the dark - despite the dog collar LED. Therefore, make sure that no one accidentally stumbles over your dog leash. Of course, there are already illuminated dog leashes - whether you really need it, you know best.